- Your Government
- Police Department
The Gaffney Police Department will vigorously perform our mission of public service with the highest ethical standards, pride, integrity, courage, honor, and dignity.
"We will strive to maintain the trust and confidence of our citizens while working to improve their safety and quality of life".
- Maintain service as our primary goal, while vigorously pursuing those who commit crimes.
- Ensure that community responsiveness and the prevention of crime shall always be the hallmark of this organization.
- Provide courteous police service with respect for the rights and dignity of all the people we serve.
- Involve the community in policing activities that directly affect the quality of community life.
- Encourage public input regarding Law Enforcement needs within their community.
- Remain committed to a shared and open relationship of involvement with all segments of our community.
- 32 personnel
- 30 Sworn Law Enforcement Officers
- 13 Uniformed Patrol Officers
- 4 Detectives
- 2 Narcotics
- 1 Crime Scene Investigator
- 1 Training Officer
- 5 School Resource Officers
- 1 Housing Authority Officer
- 4 Administrative Officers
- Chief, Lieutenant, Court Officer, and Code Enforcement Officer
- 3 Clerical Staff
Personnel Selection Process
Police Officer applicants are required to take a standardized test to assess the suitability for law enforcement work. Applicants who pass the initial test must then complete the physical fitness test. The next stage in seeking employment is two rounds of interviews. Applicants who have favorable interviews and background checks may be given a conditional offer of employment and are then scheduled for a physical exam, polygraph, and drug screen.
- At least 21 years of age
- A U.S. Citizen
- No felonies or serious misdemeanors
- High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- A valid drivers license
- A S.C. resident
Accepted applicants will be required to attend the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy to obtain a Class 1 certification.
- Starting salary of $40,215
- 100% paid employee health care
- Holiday bonuses
- 176+ PTO hours accrued per year
- State retirement
- Rotating weekends off
- 2/2/3 schedule, 5-5
- New vehicles & equipment
- Continuous training opportunities
- Overtime & extra duty assignments
- Take home vehicles
- Extra $2,400 yearly for living in the city
How to Apply
An employment application may be picked up at the police department front desk, requested via email, or click here to print out an application!
2023 Open Testing Dates
- Tuesday, March 21st 2023 @ 9:00am
- Tuesday, March 28th 2023 @ 9:00am
- Tuesday, April 4th 2023 @ 9:00am
Testing will be held at the Gaffney Police Department (201 N Limestone St). Please report to the front desk labeled "Police" and let the duty clerk know that you are there for the open testing. Make sure you have a completed application, a valid drivers license, and that you are dressed and ready to complete both the written and physical fitness test!
If you are already a Class 1 through SCCJA you do not need to complete the testing; only turn in an employment application!
The Gaffney Police Department is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
Procedure to Establish Fireworks Prohibited Zone
Completed forms can be turned in at the City of Gaffney Police Department.